1. Wonder how on earth you will get a job with no work experience
2. Apply for LOADS of jobs but hardly ever get invited for interviews
3. Manage to attend a few interviews but never get job offers
4. Know that the job market is crowded and fiercely competitive but don’t know how to stand out
5. Need to articulate your skills in a way that will get employers to notice and ultimately hire you
The good news is that Skills On The House is here to help you get the job of your dreams.
My name is Omo, and I was once in your shoes – I understand how you feel. After unsuccessfully trying to get a job for months at the age of 17, I became OBSESSED with the concept of ‘employability‘
Between endless online research and spending a LOT of time in the careers office on campus, I figured out what I had been doing wrong all along.
In order to get a job, I would need to:
1. Develop a unique personal brand by identifying and articulating my skills in a way that would get employers to notice me i.e. I needed to stand out from the crowd
2. Position myself for success by understanding what employers look for when recruiting students and graduates.
I began to do the above 2 things and I landed my very first job as a sales consultant at a major clothing retailer after a few weeks – this was a real light-bulb moment for me.
I continued carrying out research, and was constantly trying to test out what I had learnt about employability – I tweaked my CV, tried to master application forms and interview techniques, and applied for jobs every single break I got from University (and I mean E.V.E.R.Y S.I.N.G.L.E B.R.E.A.K) – I got some pretty SOLID results!
I graduated from King’s College, London in 2007 with a Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng) degree in Computer Systems and Electronic Engineering (First Class Honours) and have since gone on to work with leading organisations including Samsung Electronics (West Africa), the Nigerian Stock Exchange, 21st Century Technologies, Afrinvest and Execution Edge Limited.